For some people it's the best part of the day. It wakes you up. It tastes delicious. The grinding, percolating, and brewing can be a religious experience. It's coffee!
For as much as we love it there are tons of stuff most people don't know about their favorite beverage.
1. To Bean or Not to Bean- It's all a lie. A coffee bean is not actually a bean. They're the pits of the cherry-like berries found on the flowering shrubs, but we call them "beans" because of the resemblance to legumes.
2. Espresso-Yourself- It's not just a fun word to say. The word refers to the way espresso is made — forcing boiling water through pressed coffee grounds. Try saying it the next time you make one. And although espresso has more caffeine per volume than coffee, it would take three shots to equal the amount in a regular cup of coffee.
3. Too Much of a Good Thing- It is medically possible to overdose on coffee. Of course you'd have to drink over 30 cups of the good stuff in a very short time, so most of us are probably okay.
4. Hail to the King- We have the Boston Tea Party to thank for coffee becoming a major part of American's lives. This act of rebellion made drinking a cup of coffee instead of tea an act of patriotism.
5. It's Alive- Coffee beans naturally emit CO2 which can actually damage the flavor and aroma of the beans. The Sippin'It Airtight Coffee Canister filters out this CO2 and lengthens the life of your beans.
6. Another Lie- Decaf does not mean there is no caffeine in your cup. There is a lot less, but trust me, it's still there.
7. So Many Uses- Coffee can also make you look better. The grounds are a natural exfoliant that can take away dead skin cells and make the skin softer.
Hopefully this helps enrich your coffee education and you can appreciate this amazing beverage even more.